· 1 pound lean ground beef
· 1/2 cup minced onion
· 4 cloves garlic, crushed
· 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
· 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
· 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
· 1/2 cup water
· 3 tablespoons white sugar
· 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
· 2 tablespoons dried oregano
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
· 12 oven ready lasagna noodles
· 16 ounces ricotta cheese
· 1 egg
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
· 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Drain fat. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg and remaining parsley
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. To assemble, spread one quarter of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 4 noodles over meat sauce. Spread with one third of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese. Spoon one quarter meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers 2 more time. And top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.