Sunday, January 15, 2012

Potato Corn Chowder

I am stuck in my apartment, my car won't start. So what do I do to fill my time? Cook of course! I've made way to much food this weekend. I'll post everything throughout the week as I get to editing it. Now, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a bit obsessed with soup. It's easy, cheap, and you can do so much with it. My favorite part is that you make big batches and have a few meals from it. I freeze mine in single serve containers and grab them for lunch. I usually have 3-4 different varieties in my freezer at any given time.

Potato Corn Chowder 
1 medium uncooked red potatoes
 1/2 cup uncooked celery, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 bag of frozen corn
1 sweet red pepper (about 1 cup)
4 oz uncooked Canadian-style bacon, diced
2 cups chopped baby spinach
2 cups fat-free skim milk
1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
½- 1 cup chicken stock







Pierce potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool; mash. (You can peel this before mashing, but I like potato skins so I left mine on)
Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, corn and red pepper; sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.Stir bacon, spinach and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir to combine. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, do not boil . Thin with chicken stock if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment